World

T20 World Cup 2024 – Shimron Hetmyer and Shamar Joseph in West Indies squad

Shimron Hetmyer missed his flight to the 2022 T20 World Cup Getty Images

Shimron Hetmyer has been named in West Indies’ 15-man squad for the 2024 T20 World Cup. Shamar Joseph, the 24-year-old fast bowler who has played just three T20s and is yet to make his international debut in the format, has also been called up.

Alzarri Joseph was named as a replacement for captain Rovman Powell, while Nicholas Pooran, Andre Russell and Jason Holder were part of the squad.

Hetmyer was dropped from the 2022 T20 World Cup squad after missing his flight. He played in the series against India and England last year before being dropped for the final two T20Is of the English series and subsequently left out of the white-ball squads for the tour of Australia.

West Indies, who have won the T20 World Cup twice (2012 and 2016), have had dismal performances in the last two editions of the tournament. In 2021, led by Kieron Pollard, they failed to reach the knockout stages after winning just one match in the group stage. A year later in Australia, they failed to reach the main stage under the captaincy of Nicholas Pooran. They also missed out on qualifying for the 2023 ODI World Cup in India after failing to advance from the qualifiers.

“I’m making it very clear to everyone that whatever team you hear us field today, that team we believe will win the World Cup,” said Desmond Haynes, chairman of the West Indies selectors, after the squad was announced.

Hayes highlighted that while the selectors had noted the names of the reserves, a final list would be drawn up after West Indies A’s tour to Nepal and the home T20I series against South Africa. A preparatory camp will be held in Antigua next weekend weekend for the South Africa series. White-ball coach Sammy also said that the CWI has requested the BCCI to release the West Indies players from the ongoing IPL as soon as possible.

Why was Shamar Joseph included?

Haynes said the inclusion of Shamar and Hetmyer was role-specific, something Daren Sammy had emphasized.

“You really can’t question Shamar Joseph’s abilities,” Haynes said. “You saw him in Australia. We were looking at someone up front playing the first powerplay and he ticked the boxes.”

Shamar Joseph was named man of the match in his second Test, helping West Indies to victory at the Gabba AFP/Getty Images

Shamar, who made his name with a stunning seven-wicket haul that helped West Indies seal a historic Test victory at the Gabba, is one of several West Indies players in the IPL. He was signed by Lucknow Super Giants as a replacement player but had a difficult debut where he conceded 47 runs against Kolkata Knight Riders. In his three T20s, he has conceded 9.91 runs and is yet to take a wicket.

Sammy said choosing the team was “difficult” as they had several candidates to look at. One of them was fast bowler Matthew Forde, who made his West Indies debut against England in the home white-ball series after a successful 2023 CPL. However, Sammy echoed Haynes’ comments about how Shamar defeated other new ball contenders, including Forde.

“Shamar Joseph has pace and ability with the new ball,” said Sammy. “I’m not saying Matthew Forde doesn’t do it, but when you look at the role, it makes it easier for us to choose the people who fit that role.”

Haynes: ‘Very close decision between Hetmyer and Kyle Mayers’

Haynes admitted it was a “very difficult decision” to pick Hetmyer over Kyle Mayers, who has opened regularly in the past while also excelling as a handy medium-pace bowler. The selectors felt that having a finisher was more important than a top-order batsman like Mayers, who is currently in the IPL as part of LSG.

Left-arm spinner Fabian Allen, who is playing in Nepal with the West Indies A team, is another player the West Indies selectors are keeping an eye on.

Sammy also said that Brandon King, who missed the West Indies A tour of Nepal due to a knee injury, will play the home T20 series against South Africa, which will serve as preparation for both teams ahead of the T20 World Cup from June 1st. If King remains unfit, West Indies have until May 25 to make changes to their provisional 15.

Regarding the inclusion of Roson Chase, the team’s only offspinner, Haynes highlighted that the numbers proved he was the “most economical bowler”, as well as being a versatile and capable player and can play a “similar role” to Marlon Samuels when the West Indies have won T20 World Cups.

Sammy had ‘conversations with Narine’

When asked if Sunil Narine was in contention considering his excellent overall form in the ongoing IPL, West Indies coach Sammy said, “Since I became coach, I have been talking to all the players who participated in the (2023) CPL who I thought it could have an impact for us in this World Cup. So yes, I spoke to Narine (but), as the news clearly said, Narine is retired.

Sammy: ‘Have 15 X Factors’

Sammy was captain when the West Indies won the T20 World Cup, first in Sri Lanka in 2012 and then in India in 2016. Johnson Charles and Russell, who returned to play for the West Indies during the Australian series in January after a long hiatus, were both part of these victories. Sammy admitted he was motivated by the prospect of becoming the first team to win a T20 World Cup on home soil.

Asked who he would single out as the X-factor player in the West Indies team, Sammy said: “This period here reminds me of when I was captain, Ottis Gibson or Phil Simmons was coach, sitting in the squad, performing healthily. squad to choose from and you look at all the angles, which 15 men do you put on the park and what each angle can give you an advantage, I have 15 X factors there. [Desmond Haynes] reminded me at the meeting that we have winners, and the world knows it.”

West Indies schedule for the group stage

West Indies are in Group C along with Papua New Guinea (PNG), Uganda, New Zealand and Afghanistan. Their first two games will be in Providence, Guyana, against PNG on June 2 and against Uganda on June 8. They will then face New Zealand at the Brian Lara Stadium in Trinidad on June 12 before their final group game against Afghanistan on June 17 in St Lucia.

West Indies squad for the T20 World Cup

Rovman Powell (capt), Alzarri Joseph (vc), Johnson Charles, Roston Chase, Shimron Hetmyer, Shamar Joseph, Brandon King, Nicholas Pooran, Shai Hope, Andre Russell, Romario Shepherd, Jason Holder, Akeal Hosein, Gudakesh Motie, Sherfane Rutherford

Nagraj Gollapudi is news editor at ESPNcricinfo

Download the app now

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Seraphinite AcceleratorOptimized by Seraphinite Accelerator
Turns on site high speed to be attractive for people and search engines.